Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Timeline

First, a HUGE thank you for all of the support and encouragement I've received so far!  I don't have words to describe how much I appreciate each and every sweet comment, congratulatory hug and all of the shared excitement!

I've had several questions about where I'm at in this process so I thought this would be a great time to try to answer those questions for everyone :)

I have had 2 meetings at the adoption agency, the first was an info session and the second was an office interview.  I've filled out a little bit of paperwork and have more that I'm working on.  And, I've been fingerprinted for my background check (yes, I'm sure it will come back clean :)).  I will be attending a home study class in December and will have my home study before Christmas.  The home study report takes around 6 weeks to be completed.  This means I'll be able to "activate" with the agency in February (activating means that I can be selected by a birth mom) and I will most likely bring my baby home in 2012.  Obviously, there are a lot of details involved in this process that I've not included here.

Yes, there are financial risks in adoption but my agency works hard to minimize this through their work with the birth moms.  Yes, there are legal risks but it's part of the process.  No, I can't specify a preference on the gender of my baby...I truly believe that God will send me exactly who I'm meant to receive.

Soooo, that's where I'm at in the process.  After my home study is completed, I will begin applying for various adoption grants.  Funding for the grants is limited so the chances of receiving a grant is low but it's zero if I don't apply.  I have lots of ideas on how people can help with raising the $$ for the adoption...if you're interested in helping, please let me know.  I dislike that much of the adoption process is tainted with financial needs but I am trusting God to provide all of my needs (and those of my future baby).  Already, I have experienced a deeper closeness with God and a desire to draw closer to Him. 

Thanks again to everyone for all of the encouragement, love and support!!

1 comment:

  1. Jen, are you adopting with Adoption Support Center? It sounds exactly like our process, and we've finally been chosen after a year! We're expecting to welcome home our second child in December! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete