Saturday, October 22, 2011

Join the Rollercoaster Ride...if you dare

I've finally decided to join the world of blogging with the goal of chronicling (wow! that's actually a word - I didn't make it up!) the newest ride in the rollercoaster of my life.

I love rollercoasters...well, most of them.  I love the anticipation of climbing to the top of a tall, steep hill and then plummeting toward the bottom of said hill as the scream gets sucked out of my lungs and the wind blows in my face.  I love the corkscrew turns and loop-de-loop upside down parts.  I love the rides that are fast but smooth.  I don't think I've stepped onto one of those rides...

Adoption.  Yes, you read that correctly :)  After months (years) of thinking and praying about adoption, I've decided to pursue an adoption.  I'm excited, scared and trying to experience each part of this journey.  Originally, I wasn't going to tell very many people about my decision, but that didn't happen (hence the creation of this blog) so here are the basics of where I'm at in the process:

~ I'm adopting an infant - local, domestic adoption.  My birth mom will probably reside in Indiana.  I'm going through a local agency.
~ Yes, I'm adopting as a single parent...yes, I'm also aware that this will be the hardest thing I've ever done!
~ I have spent hours in prayer over this and have experienced the peace only God can give in the decision
~ I am aware that there will be some people who think I'm crazy for doing this
~ I know my life will be forever changed

My journey towards adoption was influenced and impacted by SO many people!  I have been blessed to experience the truth that "family" is not limited to biological relatives.  In addition to my parents, my local "family" consists of 3 families who have encouraged and supported one another through the joys and struggles of life.  The Berry's, McGee's and Goerges' and I have loved, laughed, cried and prayed for and with one another for the past 6+ years of "doing life."  My Crosspoint family (iamcrosspoint.com) has been an instrumental part of this decision as we've participated in God's plan for a community of Christ followers.  

There is also a very special little boy who has influenced this decision.  Precious Jude spent 67 days with his parents and went home to Jesus last night.  I never met this sweet baby but I know his momma from college.  Reading about his journey (www.mandypelton.blogspot.com) touched my heart.  I haven't been able to put into words exactly how/why Jude's story contributed to my decision to adopt but he will always be part of my adoption journey.  

Several people have asked how I'm able to afford adoption...honestly, I can't.  I'm making sacrifices to save wherever I can but I'm trusting God to provide financially for the baby He has for me.  My employer has an adoption reimbursement program so part of my adoption will be covered.  Also, a very generous friend from Crosspoint has written a children's book and has asked that I accept a very generous gift from her.  Stay tuned for info on purchasing a copy of the book - it is a great book and will be available before Christmas (gift idea...hint, hint)!  I have ideas for other fundraisers and things I can make that someone might want to buy but I'll save those for another post. 

And, that's all she wrote...at least for today :)

8 comments:

  1. We are so excited for you, Jen and cannot wait to see this next step in your journey unfold!
    What a great ride you are on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I am so excited for you and look forward to seeing you every week and hearing all about your journey! In my whole time knowing you, I have never seen a brighter smile on your face when you talk about adoption and what joy it will bring to your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting Jen! Motherhood, regardless of the circumstances involved, is the most rewarding experience I've ever had! Welcome to the ride (and its DEFINITELY a roller coaster!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful Jen! I always knew you would make a great mom. :) It is definitely a roller coaster ride, lots of ups and downs in being a mom, but the most exciting and fulfilling journey you can take!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen love the blog, love you and I am praying for your exciting new adventure !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As your "sister" and a happy single mother let me tell you how happy I am for you!! You will be a fabulous mother and the benefits of motherhood out weigh any negative there is at going it alone. God will provide! Can't wait to be an aunt again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How precius Jen. You will be a wonderful mother!!! Love you!
    Marcia Fisher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carrie Poisel BarronOctober 31, 2011 at 12:23 PM

    Wow! This is super! You and the little one that God brings into your life will both be blessed beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete